Quick Hits: Jake Westbrook(13-11, 3.97) was not on point tonight as he and the Cards fell to the Brewers for the second day in a row. Westbrook went 5.0 innings giving up 7 hits with 3 runs and 4 walks. Both teams struggled to make the most out of their opportunities as the Cards left 10 on base and the Brewers left 12 on base. For a more detailed look at the game look below….
- Brewers Rickie Weeks hit the 150 strike out mark with his strike out in the first.
- Jon Jay made his 19th straight start as the lead-off hitter. A career high for him.
- Brewers starter Mike Fiers a .038 hitter knocked in an rbi double in the 2nd.
- Brewers stranded 3 runners as Weeks grounded out to Jake Westbrook to end the top of the 2nd.
- Daniel Descalso made an acrobatic move to avoid a tag at second base on his 2nd inning double that drove in David Freese for the Cards first run.
- Skip Schumaker’s error in the 3rd allowed the Brewers to score their third run of the game off Westbrook.
- Brewers stranded 3 runners again in the 3rd as Jeff Bianchi grounded into a double play. Replays however showed that Bianchi may have been safe at 1st base.
- Matt Carpenter exited the game in the 3rd inning after suffering a hand injury. He had lacerations on both hands after his bat broke. He should be ready to play in the series finale tomorrow.
- Jon Jay extended his on base streak to 36 games with his single in the bottom of the 5th.
- Allen Craig drew a walk in the 5th to load up the bases with 2 outs for Yadier Molina. Molina proceeded to pop out to CF.
- Trevor Rosenthal replaced Westbrook in the top of the 6th.
- Weeks hit his 17th Home run of the season on a hanging 0-2 curveball from Rosenthal.
- Rosenthal ran into trouble as he loaded up the bases with no outs in the 7th. From there Jonathan Lucroy struck out, as did Carlos Gomez, and Bianchi grounded out to Freese to end the inning.
- Adron Chambers‘ triple in the 7th off Francisco Rodriguez cut the Brewers lead to 2.
- Craig flied out to CF stranding Chambers at 3rd, killing the rally against K-Rod.
- Sam Freeman threw a scoreless 8th for the Cards.
- In the bottom of the 8th the Cards started a rally beginning with a Molina walk followed by a Pete Kozma double. Molina scored on Schumaker’s sac fly. Cutting the deficit to 1. Carlos Beltran came in to pinch hit for the Red Birds and proceeded to pop out to the shortstop killing the rally.
- Aramis Ramirez‘s home run in the 9th extended the Brewers lead to 2. Ramirez’s 22nd of the season.
- Fernando Salas‘ scoreless streak was snapped at 13 innings as he gave up the home run to Ramirez.
- The Brewers added another run on a 9th inning single from Gomez.
- John Axford entered the game for the Brewers in the bottom of the 9th and proceeded to shut down the Cards and get his 27th save of the year.
What’s Next: The Brewers will go for the sweep tomorrow as Shaun Marcum(5-4, 3.53 ERA) will take on Joe Kelly(5-6, 3.54) at 1:15 CT. As always Cardsblog will have both pre game and post game coverage. Go Cards!