Good Morning Cardinal Nation. Here’s what I have for you this morning:
NEWS FROM THE PITCHERS MOUND: A couple days after we heard Shelby Miller was having some shoulder tightness, Miller is all set to take the mound this morning and face some live hitters. Adam Wainwright is also scheduled to throw a bullpen session today and will start Monday’s starter, putting him on track to start Opening Day on April 1. Lastly, the other four pitchers who will face hitters today are Jake Westbrook, Maikel Cleto, Keith Butler, and Jorge Rondon.
FURCAL HURTING: Rafael Furcal continues to have a lot of pain in his right elbow. Furcal, who has already been put on a reduced program to ensure he will be ready for Opening Day, is expected to miss the first few games of the Grapefruit League. Said John Mozeliak to this news: “We’ve always been concerned, but in terms of the soreness, it’s probably a case of him doing too much yesterday. Still we are going to back off and slow him down a little bit…I’m not at the point where I am worried about opening day, but I also don’t want to act like it’s a slam dunk.”
LOHSE RUMORS: MLB Trade Rumors breaks down some of the possible landing locations for Kyle Lohse, who still remains an unsigned free agent. They predict he will ultimately end up with the Cardinals. I still think this is a huge long shot. Lohse has not been in even remote contact with the Cardinals for the last few months, and I don’t expect that to change anytime soon. The Cardinals have a surplus of starting pitching options right now and John Mozeliak is not about to spend tens of millions of dollars when he is trying to restructure the Adam Wainwright contract, another big reason why the Cardinals didn’t do a whole lot this offseason. To sign Lohse now would be completely going against their plan and potentially destroy their chance of extending Waino’s contract.
Some other tidbits:
- The Cardinals have a B game scheduled against the Florida Marlins on Feb. 28 which fans can watch for free on the back fields at Roger Dean
- From Rob Rains’ daily postcard: Adam Wainwright said Thursday there will be no negotiations regarding a new contract with the Cardinals for at least 10 days because his agent, Steve Hammond, left Thursday for a 10-day trip to Israel. Hammond is expected in Jupiter after his trip and Wainwright is still hopeful a deal can be reached before the end of spring training. “We’re working towards getting something done,” he said. “We are in mile four of a 26-year mile marathon. Things are not going to be easy.
- Also from the postcard: Hall of Famer Bruce Sutter has been added to the Cardinals’ list of special instructors who will be coming to spring training, but the exact dates of his visit have not been set.
- Matt Holliday sat down with Joe Strauss recently
- Derrick Goold writes about how the 2013 Cardinals are putting forth a group effort.
- Joe Buck might do a little bit of work for Fox Sports Midwest this season, as Dan Caesar writes.