The Bottom Line: Matt Holliday singled home two runs in the top of the seventh to push the Cards past the Pirates in the opener of a three game set. John Lackey gave up an early solo home run to Pedro Alvarez but recovered to go 7 strong innings with three strikeouts.
- So far this season, the Cards are 4-1 in John Lackey’s starts. The veteran right hander has proven to be a quality deadline pick up going 7 innings in three of his five starts as a Cardinal.
- Pat Neshek continued his dominate season tonight, throwing around inning of scoreless baseball. Neshek’s ERA sits at a miniscule 0.81.
- Trevor Rosenthal picked up his 39th save despite giving up a run on a solo home run.
- Jon Jay got the job done in his one pinch hit at-bat, knocking in a run and setting up Matt Holliday’s two-RBI single.
- Peter Bourjos is batting .228 on the season and was hitting in the 2-hole tonight. That is simply unacceptable. I know he has to play, but at the very least bat him eighth.
- Oscar Taveras went 0 for 4 with two strikeouts. The rookie has had a pretty up and down year since his debut, but the promise for greatness is still there.