The Bottom Line: The Cardinals lost. Badly.
- A.J. Pierzynski hit his first home run in a Cardinals’ uniform to prevent a shutout. Yippie.
- That’s it for the positives.
- Justin Masterson pitched one inning of shutout baseball. Then he pitched another inning of non-shutout baseball. All in all, the Cardinals’ “key addition” gave up five earned runs in just 2 innings pitchedd, leaving the Cardinals in a hole early. So far in his two starts for the Cards Masterson has given up ten earned runs in in 8 innings pitched. Meh.
- Nick Greenwood gave up four earned runs in his return to the Major League ballclub. That’s exactly how you lose your place on the Major League ballclub.
- Sam Freeman pitched poorly and that’s all I’ll say about that.
- The Orioles hadn’t scored double digits in runs since April 24. They hadn’t hit six home runs in a game all season long. The Cardinals managed to make both of those events happen tonight.
- Even though they lost, the Cardinals looked good while doing it. Both teams wore throwback jerseys from 1954.
What’s Next: Tomorrow night John Lackey (1-0, 2.57 ERA) takes the mound for the Cardinals. Hopefully he does better than our other acquisition. Sheesh.