The Cards are gearing up for another postseason appearance as they take on the Dodgers in L.A. on Friday. With a sense of anticipation in the air here in St. Louis, the fans are hoping for yet another exciting October. Here is the list of the Top Ten Facts about the Cards’ Franchise:
10. In one year, the Stadium sells:
- 540,000 hot dogs;
- 181,000 pounds of nacho chips; and
- 32,000 gallons of nacho cheese.
9. The Cardinals were founded in 1882 as an American Association Team called the St. Louis Brown Stockings.
8. The St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame Museum collection is the largest team-held collection in Major League Baseball and is second only to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in terms of size with over 16,000 memorabilia items and over 80,000 archival photographs.
7. Nearly 21 Million fans have attended Cardinals games in the new Busch Stadium since it opened on April 10, 2006 (20,130,635 regular season attendance; 839,583 post season attendance).
6. Redbird Rookies now has 20 leagues, serving more than 4,500 kids in the St. Louis metropolitan area, as well as parts of rural Missouri and Illinois. In addition to organizing leagues for kids, Redbird Rookies provides services to kids such as youth mentoring programs, health screenings, and scholarship opportunities.
5. Cardinals Care has distributed more than $18 million to area organizations and built 19 Youth Baseball Fields since it was founded in 1997.
4. Over the last 16 seasons, the Cardinals have donated nearly 4 million tickets to children and charities.
3. The Cardinals bring more than 3 million fans downtown each year, with more than a million coming from outside of the state of Missouri. 90% of fans come from outside the City of St. Louis.
2. Over the last 16 seasons, the team has finished in first place eight times, won three NL pennants and two World Series while drawing over 50 million fans.
1. The Cardinals have won more than 9,300 games, 11 World Series Championships, 18 National League Pennants, 3 National League Eastern Division Titles, and 8 National League Central Division Titles.
(All Facts taken from http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/ballpark/facts/index.jsp)